Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
Chest Pain after Exertion
About This Forum:

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chest Pain after Exertion

Hi,
I am a 42 y o male with no family or personal history of heart disease.

My problem is that I experience chest pain/throat tightness (not burning) that is sometimes accompanied by belching after exercising (playing hockey or even just washing my car). It is usually accompanied by fatigued. It started about 6 mos ago to varying degrees of discomfort. About 3 weeks ago, it was so uncomfortable that I went to the ER. I was admitted, given an ekg, and stress ultrasound (took a total of 15min, got my HR to 197bpm). Results came back negative. I didn't experience any pain during or even after the test.

But since, the pain returns after I exercise. My doc reassures me that nothing is wrong with my heart but I am becoming obsessed because it really is bothersome. I have suffered from anxiety BUT my anxiety is usually because of the pain. When I am pain free-I am happy and carefree. Then I exercise and it all starts again.

Should I get further tests? Holter? Dye test?
469720_tn?1388149949
Hello
It sounds like your initial heart work up did not reveal anything. Your symptoms also sound suggestive of gastrointestinal reflux with regards to the belching. You did not mention factors such as your weight, exercise condition and prior history of reflux. Lastly it sounds like anxiety may be worsening what is a real medical problem.

I would suggest being persistent to have your pcp evaluate you for non cardiac causes of chest discomfort and swallowing symptoms such as upper endoscopy or laryngoscopy

Best of luck with further evaluation
3 Comments
Blank
Should mention that the pain is in the center of my chest to my throat.
Blank
4898376_tn?1360708553
A related discussion, what is wrong with me? was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank