Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
Cholesterol Levels

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Cholesterol Levels

I am a 57 year old male and my cholesterol levels in 6 categories are: Total 148, HDL 45, LDL 88, TRIG 74, Total/HDL 3.29, LDL/HDL 1.96. The guidelines for the 6 categories are: Total 40, LDL <130, TRIG <150, Total/HDL <4.6, LDL/HDL <5.0. My questions are: (1)What is the ideal range for a male for each of the 6 categories (e.g., Total 100 to 150)?  (2) What is the lowest number recommended for each of the 6 categories (e.g., TRIG 50)?  (3) What is your assessment of my cholesterol levels for each of the 6 categories (e.g., good, average)?  (4) What is your overall assessment of my cholesterol levels and are there any categories that you would recommend improvement for me?  (5)What are the most important categories and why?  (6) Are my cholesterol levels for the 6 categories better or worse than the typical male?
There are quite a few questions within the post so Ive copied and pasted to facilitate understanding. Some of the questions and ultimately the answers overlap. I spend about 3 hrs reviewing the results of introductory labs with patients as its quite important for people to know what the labs nos reflect but also how they can be errant and how they are addressed. To that extent I would refer you to my book, your guide to optimal health: Creating your personal wellness wheel at amazon.com. It answers many of these questions in more detail.

Additionally, visit optimalhealthtoday.com and click cardiac testing to learn more about cholesterol fractionation.

I am a 57 year old male and my cholesterol levels in 6 categories are: Total 148, HDL 45, LDL 88, TRIG 74, Total/HDL 3.29, LDL/HDL 1.96. The guidelines for the 6 categories are: Total 40, LDL <130, TRIG <150, Total/HDL <4.6, LDL/HDL <5.0. My questions are:
(1)What is the ideal range for a male for each of the 6 categories (e.g., Total 100 to 150)?
Fort total cholesterol, the optimal range can vary a little due to some patients having a genetically high HDL,; this can make the total cholesterol elevated.  Typically, the optimal range is 130-200
HDL optimal range is 55=120
LDL optimal range 70-100
TG 40=100
Total/HDL should ideally be less than 3.5
LDL/hdl shoule ideally be less than 3.0
TG/HDL should be less than 1.5

(2) What is the lowest number recommended for each of the 6 categories (e.g., TRIG 50)?  (3) What is your assessment of my cholesterol levels for each of the 6 categories (e.g., good, average)?
your level is excellent by cholesterol; you should have it fractionated to better

understand the particle distribution b/c that is more important than this calculated level

(4) What is your overall assessment of my cholesterol levels and are there any categories that you would recommend improvement for me?  

you should have your homocysteine levels, cardioCRP, insulin and hemoglobin A1c to better understand overall cardiovascular risk factors.  This measures other important risk such as inflammation, vitamin b, and risk for diabetes or metabolic syndrome

(5)What are the most important categories and why?  
(6) Are my cholesterol levels for the 6 categories better or worse than the typical male? Again, they are good.