Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
Do I need meds for Mitral Valve Regurgitation

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

I was rushed to the hospital due to heart palpataions and after my Echo, I was told that I have Thickening of the MItral Valve leaflets with mild regurgitation.  My heart rate is at rest is always around 100 -120.  I have been feeling dizzy (sometimes but not with exercise...just laying down or siting at my job) and very tired all the time.  I have a pain in the left side of my neck where the cartiroid is and it's not sharp or anything but it feels strained.  Should I get a second opinion and/or be on medication.  I'm to scared to workout and I love to run but the last time I did and I checked my heart rate...the treadmill wouldn't give a pulse...it said to stop running.  
It is unusual for the resting heart rate to be over 100 in a health person. You should be evaluated to determine the cause of this and to see what if any treatment is necessary. This will allow you to feel more comfortable and resume a normal exercising regimen.

Best of health