Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
Fast heart rate and PVCs
About This Forum:

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Fast heart rate and PVCs

Recently I spent several days in the hospital with frequent PVCs and a fast heart rate, around 130 resting. I only had a couple instances of PVC runs. If I would move, sit up, or stand my heart rate would jump to 150s and then I would have PVC runs. I had a chest x-ray, several EKGs, a ct scan with iodine and an echo cardiogram. Structurally my heart is normal. The doctors couldn't find a reason for the PVCs or fast heart rate. They gave me Atenolol and released me.

I feel really afraid! I don't understand why all of a sudden I had these frequent and strong PVCs (with some runs), or this fast heart rate. The Atenolol is working. My resting heart rate is down to 66-72 and I feel less PVCs. However, I'm terrified of this "sudden death" from irregular heart rhythms. Could that possibly happen to me? Even though my heart appears normal? I feel so anxious over the fact that the doctors didn't have any answers for me. What could cause this to suddenly happen to me, with no apparent cause? And please help reassure me about "sudden death."