Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
Fast heart rate and PVCs

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Fast heart rate and PVCs

Recently I spent several days in the hospital with frequent PVCs and a fast heart rate, around 130 resting. I only had a couple instances of PVC runs. If I would move, sit up, or stand my heart rate would jump to 150s and then I would have PVC runs. I had a chest x-ray, several EKGs, a ct scan with iodine and an echo cardiogram. Structurally my heart is normal. The doctors couldn't find a reason for the PVCs or fast heart rate. They gave me Atenolol and released me.

I feel really afraid! I don't understand why all of a sudden I had these frequent and strong PVCs (with some runs), or this fast heart rate. The Atenolol is working. My resting heart rate is down to 66-72 and I feel less PVCs. However, I'm terrified of this "sudden death" from irregular heart rhythms. Could that possibly happen to me? Even though my heart appears normal? I feel so anxious over the fact that the doctors didn't have any answers for me. What could cause this to suddenly happen to me, with no apparent cause? And please help reassure me about "sudden death."
Hello
That sounds like quite a frightening experience. It would be helpful to know information like your age, ht, wt, previous medical conditions and family history. Your cardiologist who evaluated you appears to have come to the conclusion that this information, along with the results of your tests and response to medications has been successful. I think your question is typical of many people-what caused the problem and how can I assure that it won't happen again. The next step in your testing would probably be an assessment of the electrical conduction system of your heart. This may not be necessary depending upon the other previously mentioned factors. The best way to proceed is to call the doctor who has all of this information and ask him the candid questions that I described. If the answers are insufficient or even if you just want to be extra safe-consider obtaining a second opinion to allay your concerns. Most physicians do not consider that offensive especially for complex problems.  Good luck and best of health