Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
High level of lipoprotein Lp (a)
About This Forum:

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

High level of lipoprotein Lp (a)

I am a 45 year old Canadian women that after a physical blood work determined  my lipoprotein Lp (a) to be .086 g/L ProBNP, Hemoglobin A1C, High Sensitivity CRP, Homocysteine & Fibrinogen all were normal.  My HDL was excellent at 1.77 and LDL 2.48. I weigh 107 pounds and am 5 feet 4 inches.  My doctor has advised to not worry about the Lipoprotein as the other factors are low.  However, after reading some studies regarding Lipoprotein (a) as a determinant of coronary heart disease in Young women I am alarmed, especially due to the high number of the Lipoprotein Lp (a).  In your opinion is this something that should be addressed?  Should I take niacin or other supplements to lower it?  Should I visit a cardiologist?  Is this level extremely high or just high?  I should also mention I have an incomplete bundle branch block.  Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Related Discussions
469720_tn?1388149949
Hello
All laboratories should be viewed as a composite picture to create a risk profile for a patient. Other important factors are family history of heart disease and stroke. As well as you smoking history, exercise and eating habits. I would not look at an isolated value and become alarmed to the point of instituting treatment. I would however recommend that you speak to you heart doctor about cholesterol fractionation. This breaks down each of the standard lipid particles and identifies the subfraction of healthy particles. Fractionation explains why some people with normal lipid profiles go on to have heart attack and stroke. You can read more about the testing on my website www.optimalhealthtoday.com. click on cardiovascular risk testing left margin.

If your fraction is normal then I would take a watchful approach. You should however be on high grade fish oils, co Q 10 and Vit D at the very least.

Best of Health
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
469720_tn?1388149949
Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
The Cleveland Clinic Foundation
cleveland, OH
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker