Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
High uric acid
About This Forum:

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

High uric acid

My uric acid is 7 md/dl as at 10.6.08. It is just border line (7.2). Back in 2006, it was 5.5. My question:-

1. Why has the uric level increased so much?
2. I have been on Atenolol only 0.5 mg per day. Can this cause the uric acid to increase?
3. What foods should I avoid eating?
4. What foods to eat to reduce the uric acid?
5. Can Peanut butter causes high uric acid? The brand is Skippy.
6. Will uric acid causes a heart attack?
Tq so much.
Rgds,
alanchong20
Tags: high
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
hello,

1.  an increase in uric acid can mean a lot of things, may be there is an increase of protein rich foods in your diet or it can be a sign of a serious complication.  

2.  Atenolol is a beta-blocker, basically it works on the principle of sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system that can affect a lot of different process in your body.

3/4.  Well no matter what, drink a lot of water (and i am a strong believer in vegetarianism), also avoid protein rich diets and preprocessed foods that contains nitrate and nitrite or high fructose corn syrup.  

5. Donot know, but if your peanut butter has high cholestrol or anything mentioned above, i would avoid it.  

6.  I think you should check with your GP, considering you are taking Atenolol (i am guessing for your hypertension), an increase in uric acid maybe a sign of cardiovascular disease.  

Hope that helps
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...