Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
Idiopathic Cardiomyopathy prognosis
About This Forum:

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Idiopathic Cardiomyopathy prognosis

I’m a 63 y/o male with MVP (minimal regurgitation). In 2001 I underwent ablation to alleviate my PVCs that I have had for 25 years (which had gotten very frequent and were no longer adequately controlled my meds), very successfully. At that time my cardiologist found that I had idiopathic cardiomyopathy, probably from a virus (I had a bad one with fever in the previous year which sent me to the hospital for cardioversion after I went into a-fib) – the previous echo I had done some two years before then was normal. They saw some wall motion abnormality and mild to moderate enlargement of the left ventricle; the EF was 42 at the time. At the time I was put on Lisinopril and Metoprolol.
I never had a heart attack, I am a nonsmoker, don’t drink and my BP has always been around 110/65. My resting pulse rate is around 55.
Since 2001 my annual echocardiogram has shown that the left chamber size has remained the same and my EF had fluctuated between 43 and 50; the current one done two weeks ago is 45.
I have no heart related functional symptoms other than some occasional, infrequent PVCs if I have a particularly full or upset stomach (a 35 year long symptom) and my exercise tolerance has remained the same (actually improved somewhat since my ablation).
What should I be doing to help in addition to the medications I am taking?
Most importantly - and I'm somewhat anxious about this, what is my long term prognosis with this condition?
Thank you for responding.