Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
Idiopathic Cardiomyopathy prognosis

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Idiopathic Cardiomyopathy prognosis

I’m a 63 y/o male with MVP (minimal regurgitation). In 2001 I underwent ablation to alleviate my PVCs that I have had for 25 years (which had gotten very frequent and were no longer adequately controlled my meds), very successfully. At that time my cardiologist found that I had idiopathic cardiomyopathy, probably from a virus (I had a bad one with fever in the previous year which sent me to the hospital for cardioversion after I went into a-fib) – the previous echo I had done some two years before then was normal. They saw some wall motion abnormality and mild to moderate enlargement of the left ventricle; the EF was 42 at the time. At the time I was put on Lisinopril and Metoprolol.
I never had a heart attack, I am a nonsmoker, don’t drink and my BP has always been around 110/65. My resting pulse rate is around 55.
Since 2001 my annual echocardiogram has shown that the left chamber size has remained the same and my EF had fluctuated between 43 and 50; the current one done two weeks ago is 45.
I have no heart related functional symptoms other than some occasional, infrequent PVCs if I have a particularly full or upset stomach (a 35 year long symptom) and my exercise tolerance has remained the same (actually improved somewhat since my ablation).
What should I be doing to help in addition to the medications I am taking?
Most importantly - and I'm somewhat anxious about this, what is my long term prognosis with this condition?
Thank you for responding.
Hello
Congratulations on your successful management of your problem. In terms of your prognosis, I would defer that question to your personal physicians who have the most detailed information about your condition and who have personally reviewed your diagnostic studies.

From the information that you provide, you are non diabetic, nonsmoker and non hypertensive. I dont know anything about your cholesterol or your family's cardiovascular or cancer history. Since your studies have been unchanged for nearly a decade, it appears that you are doing the right things including continuing a consistent exercise program and minimizing your risk factors for developing cardiovascular disease. Obviously, coronary occlusive disease and ischemia would be detrimental to your impaired heart function.

To that end, I would suggest tight lipid control and a diet low in saturated and total fat with only lean protein sources and maintenance of an ideal body weight

Good luck