Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
Irregular beats when exercising
About This Forum:

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Irregular beats when exercising

I am a 66 yr old male who has had minor bouts of atrial fib since 1992..usually no more than 4 or 5 year. This past year they occur more often, but always resolve themselves within 4 to 6 hours after taking 25 mg of Metoprolol. I had my last nuclear stress test  18 months ago and my cardiologist said that I don't need to take another test for 3 years. I performed at 18 mets and my ejection fraction was 63%. I have hypertension which is treated successfully with a Lotrel 40/10.  I am a daily runner and maintain a heart rate of between 135 and 140 during my runs for approx. 30 minutes.

Recently, I have noticed that as soon as begin my run and my heart rate ramps up, I get what feels like extra or skipped beats. It doesn't affect my endurance whatsoever, but it is a bit disconcerting. When I stop running I return to a normal sinus rhythm within a minute or two. My heat rate also recovers from 140 bpm to around 100 after a minute.
I experimented the other day and took 25 mg of Metoprolol approx 2 hours before my run and the extra/skipped beat sensation seemed almost unnoticeable but I couldn't get my heart rate much above 120 bpm.

I was told that my atrial fib issues might get more pronounced with age, although this doesn't present as atrial fib as when I am in a fib I am definitely unable to exercise and am a bit fatigued.

Could this be benign PAC's or PVC's.....I wouldn't think it would be related to any CAD, since I have no discomfort. i.e.chest pains or feel winded when this is going on.