Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
LV Dysfunction (Stent vs Medication)

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

LV Dysfunction (Stent vs Medication)

I am 60 years old and have been recently diagonised with low LVEF and Mid & Basal Anterior Septum, Anterolateral Segments Hypokinetic.  

Impressions from ECHO Cardiogram report:
1) Midly Dilated LV
2) RWMA + IN LAD Territory
3)Mild to Moderate LV Systolic Dysfunction ; LV EF= 41-46%
4)Normal LV Filling Pattern

I am diabetic (Type II) for the past 30 years and never had any symptoms of heart related abnormalities.
I have a busy lifestyle and would like to avoid surgery or stents. Are there any good medications for this kind of case?
What are the pros and cons of having stents vs medication and the related risk factors.
Hello
I would be interested to hear what recommendations your cardiologist has made after ordering and obtaining the results of this test. In general, coronary blood vessel stents are indicated for the treatment of moderate or severe blockages (medical term critical lesions) which are causing symptoms in a patient. These symptoms are usually chest discomfort with exertion or decreasing exercise tolerance. Although there are several other, these are the main ones.

The heart is a muscle, a large and important one. What you have describes to me is that you have a test, the echo, which shows that your muscle is not pumping to capacity. Generally, a depressed ejection fraction which occurs over time is not something that will improve dramatically with treatment. Treatment is generally indicated to decrease the strain on the heart. But sometimes there will be some improvement

Having said that, the role of a stent is usually determined by the cardiologist who looks at your symptoms and correlates them to the appearance of your blood vessels at the time of catheterization.  Catheterization gives a road map of the blockages.

Speak to your heart doctor, stents may not be an option and medication may be the best solution you have to optimize your heart function. This decision will be based upon the detailed information that he has on your case

Best of health
1 Comment
A related discussion, exercise in LV dysfunction was started.