Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
Potassium level off from HCTZ ?

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Potassium level off from HCTZ ?

I had a problem before with Potassium loss from HCTZ. I was taken off of it when I went to the emergency ward, for certain symptons.   My pressure is fine now unless Im in a Dr.s office. .... Now I take Fosinopril 40 and Verapamil 80 twice a day which is working perfectly.. The last docter wanted to try me on HCTZ once more telling me to drink alot of orange juice.  After a month of taking it he realized I dont need them.  My pressure goes up with anxiety of docters. So he took me off about a week and a half ago.  Near the end of being on them I started feeling like I have a urinary infection. It hasnt stopped ...my lower back and sides are hurting also. I figured it was from the HCTZ.  That was one of the symptons I had before when I had the potassium loss. In the hospital the last time they just gave me something to drink and it went away a bit after that.Now Im eating lots of banannas and oranges but its not leaving. I have a urinary test at my regular med docter. It showed nothing. Can this be from the HCTZ even though I stopped it. If it is How do I get rid of it.  I live in Ocean City Maryland..Limited Docters..Need some advice.  Its driving me nuts feeling like I have to urinate all the time.  No burning...Sometimes the normal amount comes out other time less.  Just a constant feeling. Recently had a CT for my Pancres.  Head a little enlarged but was fine. They said I have a little stone but nothing to worry about.  That was done routine by Docter to make sure no tumors causing blood pressure. There wasnt. Would appreciate any advice.  Will this eventually go away.  Should it have gone away when I went off the HCTZ .  Should I buy Potassium pills ?   Thanks...I want to go th Disney world next week...Want to make sure Im O.K.    Lynda
Hello Lynda
First, Im glad that your blood pressure is better controlled and it sounds like you and your doctor have agreed that you dont need HCTZ. If your symptoms were due to HCTZ, they should have corrected themselves relatively soon after you stopped it. It sounds like they continued. Im quite concerned that your symptoms sound suspicious for urinary tract infection or other bladder associated problems. I dont feel comfortable attributing it to the HCTZ. I would promptly make an appointment to be re-evaluated by your pcp and have your urine re-analyzed.  

Additionally, there are about seven anatomic causes of high blood pressure outside of the most common cause which is called essential hypertension. All of these abnormalities should be evaluated in addition to the CT that you had

Finally, you are on relatively high doses of medications and I would encourage that you consider some serious life style changes that might facilitate lowering the doses of those meds.

Get yourself evaluated before you head on your trip
Dr. Lee answered my question very well.  I noticed some people have several Dr.s answer them.  If its $20 a docter please take me off.  He answered what I asked.  If its only $20 for him leave me on.  I dont understand how this works.  Thanks.  Lynda241
A related discussion, hypertension was started.