Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
Pulmonary Hypertension?! Please help!!
About This Forum:

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pulmonary Hypertension?! Please help!!

I am sure hoping you can help...  I am a 32 y/o female athlete, 5'4", 129 lbs., healthy diet/nonsmoker/nondrinker who has been having heart palpitations (PVCs, PACs) with/without activity and was seen for them over the past two weeks.

Might it be worth mentioning, on occasion, approx. 6-8 hours or even a day after strenuous runs/lifitng, I feel a band of tightness around my upper stomach/lower chest. This was checked out about a year ago with thorasic CT with contrast, EKG, pulmonary capacity/function test (no asthma), bloodwork, etc.. to no avail; doctors indicated the issue was chest wall in nature and musculoskeletal.  If I take a few days off, symptoms go away.  Recently, I went through barium swallow testing and stomach emptying tests.  Doctors indicated that I have a sliding hiatal hernia.

Due to the palpitations, a precautionary stress echo and full resting echo (with bubble perfusion) were performed last week by my request.  The cardiologist indicated that the stress echo was normal with an above average capacity for exercise.  However, the resting echo came back with PFO/ASA, and mild mitral and tricuspid regurgitation.  He assured me that they were benign, and cleared me to full activity (strenuous job) and athletics (running and competitive powerlifting).  I received his report, letter and notes today in the mail, only to find that in addition to the above findings, the resting echo report indicated a mPAP of 27mmHg (with an upper end normal range of 25), and a RVSP of 35mmHg (with an upper end normal range of 30-35).  The pulmonary valve velocity was 1.2 (apparently 1.0 is normal).  The report cites "mild pulmonary hypertension".  I had a fit and called the doctor's office only to find that my cardiologist is not on call. I cannot sleep and am beyond upset and worried.  I am so scared...  Can you help me make sense of this?

Thank you so much!