Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
Strange feeling during evening brisk walk

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and am getting better with it and am almost euthyroid. I also had several episodes of panic attacks. My doctor suggested me to go for walks to counteract anxiety. I did so regularly for last 1 month.

I contracted common cold in the start of this week. But I did not ceased to walk. I walk 3 kms. (approx 1.5 miles) daily on a track which has flat surface, staircases and slopes. Today I was feeling a bit low due to the cold, but still went for a walk. As I climbed the staircases, I felt fainted and got a bitter taste in my mouth. I was nauseated and sat down for a while. Heart rate was accelerated and I got panic symptoms. But I did not understand that after being able to walk the same track everyday without any problem, what went wrong today?

Was it angina? But there was no pain. A heart attack? Or the old panic attack? Or was it high or low BP/sugar? I came home, took a glass of water with a pinch of salt & sugar and felt better, but was dizzy.

I am 30 years old. Resting heart rate = 68 average. BP = Mostly 120/80 - 140/90. I take 20 mg Carbimazole with 5 mg Propranolol. Do not smoke or drink. No cholesterol problem (Cholesterol = 110, HDL = 44, LDL = 56, Triglycerides = 46), no sugar problem (Fasting = 88, Post-prandial = 79, Creatinine = Normal), but I am overweight now (185 lbs). Please help me to gauge what went wrong with me? Should I go for some additional tests before walking again?
If you recovered uneventfully with know residual symptoms it quite possible that you were feeling some of the affects of your cold illness. Its impossible to try and diagnose you remotely however if you had no lasting affects, perhaps another walk may test out system to see if this was indeed a panic attack. Lets hope not. It sounds like you have been managing your situation well to this point

As you know, angina can present quite atypically in people with symptoms ranging from nausea and vomiting to arm pain especially in women and diabetics so the absence of the classic symptoms of chest pain is never completely sufficient to rule out.

Good luck and of course you should report to the emergency department immediately if the symptoms recur

Best of Luck

LK
It happened more than a week ago. I rested for 2 days and resumed walking again. I did not face the same symptoms again. The only thing I am doing now is that I do not climb the staircases and keep my heart rate between 120-130 bpm. I guess, I overdid exercising during a sickness. I did an ECG and nothing wrong came out. Would you recommend a stress test for me?