Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
Will a pericardial window heal or is it permanent? Is there anything el...
About This Forum:

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Will a pericardial window heal or is it permanent? Is there anything else that could be considered?

In April I went to the ER due to severe chest pain radiating up my neck, shoulders and back.  I had been previously diagnosed with pleurisy for approximately 2 years and given numerous rounds of Levaquin and Decadron. I would go to ER and they would see a high WBC, fever and state I had a bacterial infection. Over 2 years my bouts became closer together. The decadron would relieve symptoms in hours but would recur in 2 months and towards the end my relief lasted for a few days. I went to TN to the ER. I was experiencing a pericardial tampanode. They moved me to Johnson City Medical Center. My BP was around 90/70 and experiencing tachycardia. The vascular surgeon conducted an open heart incision over my sternum and put in a pericardial window. They removed 400cc's of fluid and inserted chest tubes. The test that came back positive was for the Coxsackie Virus. The doctors feel that this may have not been the cause. I was discharged on NSAIDS. 2 days later I was in the hospital. CT scan also showed a slightly enlarged liver and spleen. Infectious disease wanted to do a liver biopsy and a bone marrow tap which most doctors were against. Neither done. My WBC would jump to 29,000 and then in hrs drop to 9,000 and I would run a mild fever. Did this for days. Bacterial cultures were done. Negative. HIV test completed. Negative. I went home for 2 days and it came back. They felt it was Post Cardiac Injury Syndrome. I was put on steroids. I started at 120mg. I have relapsed as Prednisone decreased. The first was at 2.5 mg and SED rate was high, C Protein factor was high and WBC count. Increased the Prednisone to 40mg. I was on 5mg for about 5 wks when the symptoms returned. It has been gradual onset. Pain in my left ribcage, my ribs felt bruised around to the floating rib, it would radiate up my side into my left shoulder. Pain is now in the center of my chest, under my left breast and in the mid of my back and up my neck. I am on 4mg. It's worse when I lay down