Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
elvated lipoprotein a

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

elvated lipoprotein a

Dear Doctor

I am a 45 year old Canadian women that after a physical blood work determined  my lipoprotein Lp (a) to be .086 g/L ProBNP, Hemoglobin A1C, High Sensitivity CRP, Homocysteine & Fibrinogen all were normal.  My HDL was excellent at 1.77 and LDL 2.48. I weigh 107 pounds and am 5 feet 4 inches.  I had posted a question and you had suggested I get my cholestrol fractionated which I have done in addition to a CIMT study.  The ldl density was A.  This test showed the lipoprotein at 16 per mg/dl.  HDL 2 was 18,  HDL 3 48, IDL 4, ldl-R 84, total LDL105, total VDL 12, LVDL 1+2 =4.7, VLDL 3 =8 total cholestrol 182 all in Mg/dl.  All vap derived apoloproteins well below normal.  The only test out was the liporpotein a which was 16, normal was 10 per mg/dl.  However I have 3 times as many small HDL to large.  My CIMT showed no plague but a arterial age of 49.  My mother is 79 with high lipoprtein a.  Of her 13 siblings 5 have CAD the youngest dying of a heart attack at 50.  All where smokers.  My question is in light of these finding should I begin taking Niaspan to reduce the LP(a).  what are the side effects of this?  I want to make sure I do everything I can to avoid a heart attack but I am concerned about what other problems could develop as a result of taking Niaspan.

Thanks for your input

congratulations on your efforts. Did you have the ApoE inherited gene testing. The first thing to remember is that all of these lab results are meant to be used as a composite assessment of risk factors. that is, no single test should be viewed as an independent predictor of heart attack and stroke. In addition to the lab results, lifestyle should also be considered as quite important. In your family's case, the presence of multiple genetic risk factors in combination with life long tobacco use may have been the environmental cue which triggered the expression. I would recommend that you have a talk with your cardiogist the discuss the potential benefits and risk of beginning niacin therapy. A significant portion of people will experience heat flashes and flushing which can reduce their ability to comply with the recommended regimen.