Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
elvated lipoprotein a
About This Forum:

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

elvated lipoprotein a

Dear Doctor

I am a 45 year old Canadian women that after a physical blood work determined  my lipoprotein Lp (a) to be .086 g/L ProBNP, Hemoglobin A1C, High Sensitivity CRP, Homocysteine & Fibrinogen all were normal.  My HDL was excellent at 1.77 and LDL 2.48. I weigh 107 pounds and am 5 feet 4 inches.  I had posted a question and you had suggested I get my cholestrol fractionated which I have done in addition to a CIMT study.  The ldl density was A.  This test showed the lipoprotein at 16 per mg/dl.  HDL 2 was 18,  HDL 3 48, IDL 4, ldl-R 84, total LDL105, total VDL 12, LVDL 1+2 =4.7, VLDL 3 =8 total cholestrol 182 all in Mg/dl.  All vap derived apoloproteins well below normal.  The only test out was the liporpotein a which was 16, normal was 10 per mg/dl.  However I have 3 times as many small HDL to large.  My CIMT showed no plague but a arterial age of 49.  My mother is 79 with high lipoprtein a.  Of her 13 siblings 5 have CAD the youngest dying of a heart attack at 50.  All where smokers.  My question is in light of these finding should I begin taking Niaspan to reduce the LP(a).  what are the side effects of this?  I want to make sure I do everything I can to avoid a heart attack but I am concerned about what other problems could develop as a result of taking Niaspan.

Thanks for your input