Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
pacemaker procedure

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

pacemaker procedure
My father is 93 year old. He has a chronic complaint of dizziness. His last physical everything is normal except his heart rate is low (57 per minute). His Dr. said that the dizziness is due to low heart rate and the solution is to place a pacemaker. My question is how safe and what is the risk factor to put a pacemaker to a patient of his age? Thank you very much.
Placement of a pacemaker in a person your father's age carries much the same risks as in any other patient including infection, bleeding, arrhythmia, pneumothorax.  Im certain that they did more extensive testing to assure that he would benefit from the procedure. The controversy about doing it in someone of your fathers age is offered by those who suggest that the cost of the procedure does not outweigh the potential years of use. I would suggest you have a long talk with the doctor is you have questions about the indication or need for the procedure. Good luck
A related discussion, Information on biventricular pacemaker and meds was started.