Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
pain/numbness, what type of doc should I see?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

pain/numbness, what type of doc should I see?

I'm 53 yrs old, male, 6' 2", 205 lbs.  I go to crossfit (intense exercise) 5x a week for past 8 months.  After Sat workout I had a strange pain in my left arm pit.  Strange because hurt bad when sitting, only slight ache while standing and no problem while lying down.  I assumed muscle strain.  I did find some sore ribs on that side.  

Pain is less now but doesn't seem to be going away like regular muscle strain injury.  Worst when sitting, leaning forward.  Seems to well up in my arm pit and extend into my chest and down my arm, almost to elbow.  And today I notice slight numbness in armpit.  Ribs feel okay now.

At first I thought muscle strain.  Now I wonder if it's circulation.  Or nerve damage?  Any suggestions on what type of doctor to see?

John