Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
should i have some sort of cardiac stress test?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

should i have some sort of cardiac stress test?

Hi.  I am a 45 year old female with a strong family history of heart attack and stroke by the late 40s and early 50s.  BMI 42, hbp 120/80 on Tenoretic, hdl 34 (since 2008), triglycerides between 200 and 275 (since 2006), total cholesterol around 175.  not diabetic.  only other health condition is hypothyroidism although I did have 1 parathyroid adenoma removed in July 2011.  Still trying to get TSH and free T4 under control; in process of raising Synthroid dose with my pcp (now at 112 mcg but last TSH was 17).  Vitamin D levels in the low 20's.  I lead a VERY sedentary lifestyle (I sit at a computer all day) and have not engaged in a regular exercise program.  No real cardiac symptoms.  I would like to start a serious exercise program so that I can lose weight and bring down my triglycerides and increase my hdl.  Ideally I would love to be able to someday stop taking Tenoretic!  I know it is seriously past time to get all my cardiac risk factors under control.  Would it be a good idea for me to have some sort of cardiac stress test before I start a walking and weightlifting program?  If yes, what kind?  If no, why is one not necessary?  Thanks!  Kate