Caregivers Community
Don’t Let Nursing Homes Keep Elderly Married Couples Apart by Springhil...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to caregiver issues, advocacy, anger, anxiety, assistive technology, behavior problems, cancer, community care, day care, dementia, depression, end of life issues, feeling overwhelmed, friends and family, grief, guilt, health surrogacy, isolation, legal issues, long term planning, nutrition, stress, transportation, vacations, and your health.

Don’t Let Nursing Homes Keep Elderly Married Couples Apart by Springhill Care Group

According to a new study from the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada, seniors work hard to keep their marriages alive and well, even after one spouse falls ill and goes into a long-term care facility. Community-dwelling spouses were greatly drawn in the lives of their partners who are inside the institution, and that a lot of the couples remained active together may it be inside or outside the nursing home Researcher Robin Stadnyk was surprised to discover about this. Stadnyk is a post-doctoral researcher in the University of Alberta’s Department of Human Ecology.  She reviewed data from a qualitative study of 52 community-dwelling spouses in three Canadian provinces: Alberta, Manitoba and Nova Scotia, for her PhD research.  According to her research, the participants were heavily involved in their spouses’ lives, not only through caretaking duties like doing laundry and helping with personal hygiene, but also through nurturing activities that brought them closer together.
Tags: springhill care group, Don’t Let Nursing Homes Keep E
I'm not very impressed by Phd.'s. All that this study has deternined is pretty-much common sense.

This is a complex problem revolving around the very nature of senior care facilities, lack of appropriate regulation and non-existant  inspections, and a failure of government to take an interest in these homes and their methods of operation.

The residents nof these homes often have no family advocates to speak for them. And the homes will often not permit visitors from the outside unless you are visiting a specific person, and then often only if you can document being a relative.

Over the years I have visited over 100 senior homes in three states, and keeping couples together is rather low on the priority list. Not that keeping couples together isn't extremely important.  There are numerous "homes" that keep senile disabled seniors in urine-soaked garments rolled in a hallway and feed them garbage, as well as providing non-existent therapy or recreation. The care in many is atrocious. Abuse is the norm.  For many seniors it is not a happy way to spent the last years of your lifel.
I am a firm believer in if you have children they should take the respomsibility of helping there mom and dad or both.  I took care of my mom and I treasure the time we had.  some of it was rough she had alzeimers.  and conjestive heart problems.  we went to the hospital some.  my dad had died before mom he had cancer.  my mom took care of him with me and my husbands help.  my hubby passed away.  my family wanted to put mom in a nursing.  when the hospital said they could no longer help.  they all started making plans.  they were never there for her any way.  I said mom.  lets go home.  my niece brought us home and she stayed until she passed away.  I hate nursing homes.  they do not take care of the patients like they should.  I would not do that to my mom.  loved her too much.  mandy876