Caregivers Community
Elderly person requiring restrains (belt)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to caregiver issues, advocacy, anger, anxiety, assistive technology, behavior problems, cancer, community care, day care, dementia, depression, end of life issues, feeling overwhelmed, friends and family, grief, guilt, health surrogacy, isolation, legal issues, long term planning, nutrition, stress, transportation, vacations, and your health.

Good day everyone. I was wondering about belt restraints nursing homes uses for the elderly and the number of accidents related to wheelchairs.

Are accidents involving wheelchairs and elderly persons a significant problem in today's nursing homes? I was just wondering what are the causes of them falling them from wheelchairs and possibly even is there a rising number of accidents related to wheelchairs?

Can any doctors help me on this?
From what i understand most of the falls come from an elderly person that does not walk good, and they try to get out of bed and fall, if they are not restrained, they must have a DR order to have a restraint.I have not heard about the accidents with the wheel chairs, maybe someone can enlighten us on this  jo
Hi, my late dad had posies (restraint) at night, so he would not get out of bed.  He was never restrained in his wheelchair.  My mom has one on her sitting moving chair, she no longer can walk, but she tries to get up.  Hope this helps.  
There have been incidents in the past where an elderly person slid down out of the chair with a seat belt on and was strangled.Some of these incidents in the past ended in death, otheres ended in the patient suffering anoxia(lack of oxygen to the brain,

To prevent this form occurring, the regulations now require that no form of restraint should be used, thus the development of the seat and bed alarms.

It is the same reasoning for half side rails on a bed versus the full side rail. All of these regulations and safety measures are the results of deaths or severe injury suffered by others in the past.        
Dianecarbo, this makes a lot of sense, also thanks and also  thanks to kobuk what you said makes sense   jo
Dianecarbo is correct. The use of any restraints, either chemical or mechanical requires a physicians order.

There are many new devices such as she describes, bed, seat and mat alarms. These tools were developed with the safety of our elderly in mind and due to tragic accidents and occasional misuse. Staff must be especially alert and quick to respond to any of these alarms or they are useless. Poesy restraints are rarely used. In most facilities in our state they are banned.

Chemical restraints are often used in conjunction with alarm devices for the residents that are still felt to be a danger to themselves.

Tuck  

I know some persons that are in wheelchairs seem not to be able to stop their selves from sliding down...causing them to fall out of their wheelchairs...This is the same for those who have cognitive disabilities. The restraints can also be called pelvic positioning device.
They should consider drugs such as antipsychotic drugs (which destroys the frontal part of the brain) for the Elderly (used for behavior) as restraints, too. My boyfriend was given Haldol which caused hemiplegia and his death within 2 months.