Caregivers Community
How to get up steps?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to caregiver issues, advocacy, anger, anxiety, assistive technology, behavior problems, cancer, community care, day care, dementia, depression, end of life issues, feeling overwhelmed, friends and family, grief, guilt, health surrogacy, isolation, legal issues, long term planning, nutrition, stress, transportation, vacations, and your health.

How to get up steps?

My dad just had surgery for a broken tibia/fibula and he can't put any weight on it for the next month.  He is supposed to come home tomorrow and we don't know how we're going to get him up the stairs to the house.  The physical therapist said he should go up on his butt.  My dad is 65 and has had both hips replaced recently and I don't think he's going to be able to do it.  I am looking for some different things we can try to get him up the steps without putting any weight on his foot.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Thank you!
My husband is a hospice volunteer and so I asked him. He said there's too much risk to moving your Dad up the stairs by yourself. And bouncing his rear up the stairs is not an option. There will come a time when he has to come back down too.

A lift is a possibility but not practical since you're talking about bringing him home tomorrow. He said you should talk to the health care professionals about this. They may have trained people that can transport him safely up the steps.

I hope Caregiver stops by soon with some helpful instructions or advice.
you can put him on a chair and you can get help from your neighbors or family they will lift him and the chair up the stairs
I thought about that one too. They would have to be very trustworthy and strong helpers.  LOL  I'd be hanging on for dear life.

We had a very ill neighbor years ago that was frequently taken to the hospital. When he came home, he came by ambulance transport and they would wheel him back in on a gurney. Not sure how that's paid for but it's certainly the safest.
well i used that method a lot because my grandmother had both legs broken and a hip dislocated so we transported her like this for like 2 years
I assume he is being released from a hospital. What you need to do is to get him into a rehabilitation nursing facility equipped to deal specifically with these problems. There are two kinds. One is an accelerated rehab and the other is more drawn out. You can't switch once you start in one program., I am dismayed that the hospital has not provided you with more guidance. I am in the process of arranging for an 82 year old recovering from hip surgery to enter such a facility. You also need to see what "certificates off necessity" he may be eligible for. There is a catalog on the internet. The ambulance crew will bring him up the steps. If he intended to leave the house you will require either a ramp or a chair to move him up and down. Electric elevator chairs are quite expensive, but ocasionally you see them at auctions. I bid on two such stair-elevator units, crated, with track,  brand spanking new from a municipality that went for $250. Retail they would have gone for $12,000. I have also seen them at nursing home bankruptcy sales.