Caregivers Community
Keeping Track of Receipts of Patients

This patient support community is for discussions relating to caregiver issues, advocacy, anger, anxiety, assistive technology, behavior problems, cancer, community care, day care, dementia, depression, end of life issues, feeling overwhelmed, friends and family, grief, guilt, health surrogacy, isolation, legal issues, long term planning, nutrition, stress, transportation, vacations, and your health.

Keeping Track of Receipts of Patients

9105914?1368380215
If you are responsible for caring for a loved one or have aides that assist in doing so, at the end of the month there will invariably be dozens of tiny receipts. To keep track of these I use an inexpensive marble school notebook. On each page I scotch-tape a receipt with a notation (if necessary). On one page there may be a dozen receipts taped.  Then add up the totals on each receipt and put this in a box in the lower right hand corner. At the end of the month I total the receipts, put the amount on the cover, and retire the book. These include foods expenditures, carefare, diapers, food supplements, household supplies, cash disbursements to aides and tips (I write a facsimile receipt). This eliminates a situation where you have a scrunched-up handful of receipts. You know exactly what was spent on each day for tax and acountability purposes. I would leave this book in the room so aides that purchase small items could stick their receipts here also. I would leave fifty dollars in cash in the room for them to use for such purposes, replenishing this money as needed.