Caregivers Community
Super-Glue, Torn Fingernails, Broken dentures

This patient support community is for discussions relating to caregiver issues, advocacy, anger, anxiety, assistive technology, behavior problems, cancer, community care, day care, dementia, depression, end of life issues, feeling overwhelmed, friends and family, grief, guilt, health surrogacy, isolation, legal issues, long term planning, nutrition, stress, transportation, vacations, and your health.

9021415?1365888617
A common problem with caring for the elderly is a torn fingernail. I would think this would be a no-brainer, but a visiting nurse recently showed up at the home of a 100 year old I know, and instead of repairing the fingernail as I suggested (I had superglue gell in a drawer with a note), tore it (the fingernail fragment) off (yes there was blood) and put a bandage on the finger with bacitracin. Arghhh! They apparently give R.N.'s these days by sending in boxtops. Cutting to the chase, jello strengthens nails and should be a part of the diet of all who are disabled and old. Torn fingernails are easily repaired with gell superglue, applied very judiciously with a toothpick. When the patient is stroke-disabled tell them what you are going to do and put it on a dry-ease board in large letters or they may become frightened and move their hand, perhaps sticking it to their face. Be prepared to hold their wrist to prevent movement. Don't hold it. Just have your hand above it to do so. Since part of the nail may be raised you may have to hold it down until the cement hardens. Another use for gell superglue is to repair dentures and caps on teeth. There is another glue that I have used on dentures and replacing a cap that has come off a front tooth. That adhesive is fast-cap 2P10.  It comes in three grades. The gell is best. You put gell (only a teeney weeny bit) on one surface and spray another fixer on the other and when you place them another in 10-15 seconds the bond fixes and in 10 seconds more achieves full strength. If you use this on dentures, wash and scrub them thoroughly after bonding. I think the 2P10 does a better job than the gell superglue. There is a videotape on you-tube on how to use 2P10. It does not require clamping. I will tell you where I use the 2P10. To secure strips of non-skid tape to the surface of the bathtub to prevent falls. These are really a worthwhile investment for any home where an elderly person resides, but the ones I have used with the peel-away backing do not stay "stuck".  Thus I recommend additional adhesive. You place the gell on the non-skid strip and spray the surface of the tub, then place it down. When set rinse and wash the area thoroughly.