Caregivers Community
Swallowing Difficulty, medications, Bananas
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to caregiver issues, advocacy, anger, anxiety, assistive technology, behavior problems, cancer, community care, day care, dementia, depression, end of life issues, feeling overwhelmed, friends and family, grief, guilt, health surrogacy, isolation, legal issues, long term planning, nutrition, stress, transportation, vacations, and your health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Swallowing Difficulty, medications, Bananas

Swallowing difficulties are common in the elderly. Especially stroke patients. There are various degrees of difficulty. Problems with swallowing pills is common. If swallowing is normal except for the inability to swallow pills first try placing the pill UNDER the tongue and then having the patient drink an ordinary quantity of water or liquid. The pill will usually magically end up in the tummy. Another way uses ripe banana. You crush the pill and place the medication in a glob of mashed banana. Banana is sometimes contraindicated because of the potassium content, however a small bit (an inch or so) will not cause problems. Thyroid medication can often be introduced in this manner, as well as ordinary antibiotics. The mashed bit of banana has just enough substance to cause the patient to swallow the pill. Follow up with a sip of liquid.
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
187666_tn?1331176945
My mom has been using a bit of yogurt for years to help her pills slip on down. My husband uses yogurt because he has pretty severe hiatal hernia and acid reflux so swallowing is often a problem for him. Not sure if that teaspoon of yogurt interferes with absorption of any particular meds.
Blank
Good point.  Thyroid meds are to be taken on an empty stomach.  
Blank
7100466_tn?1392035916
I crush my Mum's pills, and add them to applesauce.  Learned this from her nurse while she was in hospital.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Caregivers Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank