Wheelchair Cushions
Patients should not be taken out without a resilient wheelchair cushion. They don't come with the wheelchair and often are not ordered. A folded blanket is insufficient. Little bumps on the sidewalk transmit their energy to the spinal column and cause pain and discomfort. They come in different colors. On the cushion write the patient's name and your cell phone number. Look for one that has ties to secure it to the frame of the wheelchair. Some do and some don't. They often get removed and lost in an emergency room. There are other types used to prevent bedsores suitable for patient's in a nursing home that sit on the chairs for long periods. They use a pneumatic system to vary pressure on several pads. You can see images of these by searching on the internet. These are available through submission of a so-called "certificate of necessity". If your loved one resides at home, and is frail, consider asking your physician to provide such a certificate.
that is a very good idea.  that could help a lot of people.  I have to use a wheel chair if we are going to walk a lot.  I get dizzy and break out ina cold sweat.  then my back starts hurting really bad.  I will check this out and pass this long to others.  thank you mandy876