Caregivers Community
why.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to caregiver issues, advocacy, anger, anxiety, assistive technology, behavior problems, cancer, community care, day care, dementia, depression, end of life issues, feeling overwhelmed, friends and family, grief, guilt, health surrogacy, isolation, legal issues, long term planning, nutrition, stress, transportation, vacations, and your health.

why.

Why don't hospice feed they pas. through they vains in stead of letting them starve to death like they did my mama.
You have my condolances and prayers for your mother. The starvation protocol is inhumane and originated in the United Kingdom.
they are not allowed to if your mom or dad signed the do not resessitate.  not spelled right sorry.  I got my mom some blue bell popsickles with ice cream in the middle.  she loved them.  it is terrible not to be able to do anything.
The problem is there is a world of difference between "do not resuscitate" and "do not treat". EMT's and paramedics often confuse the two, as well as physicians in what are otherwise decent hospitals.
Hospice care is aimed more at comfort care, not so much a healing process.  My Dad was on hospice care and although they didn't use a feeding tube, they did encourage him to eat whatever he could swallow. Part of the dying process is a shut down of the organs and that often means a loss of appetite. Patients don't sit there craving food so there's not much discomfort with that. If anything, the family nags them to eat something just to give them peace of mind. But in an illness that is terminal, the real goal is to keep the patient as comfortable as possible. And that includes meds to ease pain, nausea, whatever.

I'm sorry your mom did not survive. I'm guessing she was extremely ill and that's why she was on hospice? If that's the case, eating would not have saved her. And forcing food into her may have made her sick since the organs were not up to processing it all.

It's a difficult process and not easy to watch. But we can't stop it. We'll all face that time one day. I can only hope someone will do what they can to keep me comfortable so my last days are peaceful.
I agree with everything that ireneo says.  

When someone is in a hospice, they are there because there is no cure and death will come at some point.  When someone is terminally ill and does not want to eat, there is no point in feeding them through intravenous drips, this just prolongs the agony of the already failing body.

It is very sad when we lose a loved one, but I am sorry to say that we all destined to die at some point.  

Just take comfort in the knowledge that your dear mama was being cared for and looked after in her dying days and her torment was not prolonged by "force feeding".

You do not say how long ago you lost your mama.  It does not matter how long ago it was, but you may benefit from bereavement counselling to talk about your loss to someone who is experienced in bereavement counselling.

Your doctor can also help if you are having a problem.  

Best wishes.
TREATMENT OF PAIN AND SUFFERING IN THE TERMINALLY ILL  

by Alan D. Lieberson, M.D., J.D.
when I was taking care of my mom with hospice.  the hospital. sent her home to die.  they would not take her back.  unless a new illness came up.  the doctor told me if I gave her liquids she could drown and if I gave her solid food she could choke to death,  she loved the ice creams.  blue bell popsickles with ice cream in the middle.  made me feel horrible not to give her the food I thought she needed.  some times life stinks.  mandy876
Unfortunately, when the body is shutting down and nearing death there is no point forcing people to take food and drink.

When I took care of my granny she used to just spit it out.

It is very sad, but the reality is that we will all go down that path, one way or another.
I'm not sure about other countries but the general rule in the states is once someone has chosen to go on hospice care due to a terminal illness, they agree not to actively seek treatment for things that crop up during the final months. Obviously if they fell and broke a leg, that would be treated but the typical things that happen during the end months are allowed to progress naturally.

As for eating, my experience is the person chooses what they can handle at any moment. With my Dad, he lost his appetite but loved to sip on orange juice. As long as the person is upright and able to swallow, they can take what they want. If a person is only semi-conscious, then putting food or fluid into their mouth could cause them to choke or have it go to the lungs causing pneumonia (aspiration pneumonia). I hope the people caring for your mom made that clear.

Our mother passed from stage 4 lung cancer. We took care of her in her home,till she passed. Although hospice was there,we gave the "shots" on what to do for ma.I don't agree with there tactics sometimes,I wish they'd stop spending money on stupid pink advertizing..not one would help us with uninsured medical,or a wig. I would give to a chemo center-people in there..Never will I ever donate to a "cause" because they don't care about peoples suffering,and just give you a bunch of useless phone numbers. I advise you to take your mama home-love her..give her whatever she wants..and as long as you have her pain meds to help her,let know what stand in your way of how you know she wants to be treated.
  my mom i would feed her blue bell popsickles with ice cream in the middle.  she loved these.  and they didnot choke her.  mandy876