Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Can wearing my wrist guard hurt me?

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

Can wearing my wrist guard hurt me?

Back in 2012 I was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel and subsequently given a wrist guard. It was a fancy and expensive one that felt great and seemed to help, but I was given strict direction to only wear it at night when sleeping, not during the day. Well, after a year or so, while spending several months in the hospital, I ended up wearing it all of the time for relief. I think I have developed some psychological dependence on it. At some point the original one was lost and I had to buy a generic wrist guard from the drugstore, which is the one I currently use. I usually wear it all day, taking it off to shower and sometimes when I sleep because it gets uncomfortable. Recently, I have noticed a sharp increase in hand, wrist, and arm pain. It was suggested to me that my wrist guard is the cause, that I have abused it and caused muscle imbalance and weakness. Before I call my doctor, we're quite tired of one another, I thought I'd ask the Yahoo community for their medical expertise. Have I injured myself by wearing my wrist guard too much? Is it really bad to type with it? And if I have, how can I start to reverse the damage and heal?
Is there anyone that can answer?
I've seen articles that suggested wearing a brace all the time for extended periods of time can weaken the muscles in the wrist and thus lead to more issues. I have no idea if that is true as I do not work in the medical profession. I am a software developer and work on a computer 10+ hours a day and have suffered from carpel tunnel symptoms off and on. When it flares up and really bothers me I'll wear my brace for almost the full day for a week, two max.
Dear MommyRissa:

Disclaimer:  I'm not a medical professional either but have experienced something similar -- feeling really frustrated trying to get to the bottom of getting rid of my carpal tunnel.  I had bilateral carpal tunnel right after graduating from law school.  I was told that I may have permanent nerve damage and my only option was surgery, where the success rate was, in my opinion, low.  Luckily, I explored other options and tried other things.  Now I'm pretty much healed (except if I want my husband to carry the groceries in!).

I used wrist braces and while they are helpful, they are pretty much a bandage and not really addressing what is causing the pain.  They are often used at night so you don't twist your wrists in your sleep -- but I would try not to depend on them for so long.  Your wrist/arm then gets used to the brace and I've noticed, when I wore a brace, I modified my wrist/arm so that I still injured it by using it improperly.  

Have you tried other options?  Let me know if you want to chat - i'm on google+ (***@****) and skype (serauhwang).  I know that it's easier to speak via video than type!