Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Carpal Tunnel...need some advice...

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

Carpal Tunnel...need some advice...

Hello. I'm 24 years old and have been dealing with Carpal Tunnel in my right (dominant) hand/wrist for about 4 years. The severity of the pain/weakness varies...I'll have some days/weeks when it's just annoying and not that noticeable and then I'll have other periods of time when the pain is worse and my hand is very weak. I work as a pharmacy tech so my work days include being on the computer and opening/closing medication bottles. I have seen a "hand doctor" (I'm not sure of his exact title) twice. The first time he gave me a shot in my wrist. The pain was almost excruciating the first 2 days after the shot then was better for about 1 week then it was back to normal. I don't really think the pain I felt the first 2 days after the shot was worth the mere week of lessened pain I had afterwards. I wasn't expressing to him a desire to have surgery so he left it at if i wanted another shot just to call the office. I've been going to a chiropractor for about 2 months and he's done some things that haven't really helped as of yet. I've been thinking about surgery...I do plan to be in this field of work for most of my life, and in my free time I'm also on the computer a lot too. My husband and I want to start a family within the year and I'm worried if I don't get the surgery before we have children I might have trouble changing/bathing/dressing with the pain and weakness I feel at times. Would a doctor operate on someone my age? Should I really be thinking about surgery?
Hi there yes the dr would operate at your age i too have carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand and i had mine operated on last december and iv only just turned 21. I also have had mine for about 5 years
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If your symptoms are not controlled with conservative management, then surgical correction may be needed. And it can be done at your age.

The carpal tunnel (at your wrist through which the median nerve passes) changes its size depending on the position of the wrist. It’s widest when wrist and hand are straight in line. When the hand is bent up or down, the tunnel becomes slightly smaller. This then presses on the nerve which then causes a pain right up to the arm. Often proper working style, working without bending wrist, using smooth movements to operate the mouse and key pad, and relaxing the joints of finger, wrist and arm in between helps. A wrist support or arm support too helps and you have computer chairs with support for your spine and arm. So, as you wait for surgery try these measures.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.