Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Carpal tunnel pain worse after surgery?

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

Carpal tunnel pain worse after surgery?

My EMG was done around May. My left hand was labeled as "quite severe" and my right hand was "moderately severe".

Since my left hand is my dominant hand and was worse my surgeon decided to do my left hand first July 30. Post-op I haven't had any problems with that hand.

October 31, I had surgery on my right hand. I'm just under 8 weeks post op and my hand hurts more than it did before I had the surgery.

For both my hand was in a splint/cast for 3 weeks and I returned to work a few days after the cast came off. I took care of everything the same way I did for the first surgery. I sleep with the wrist splints on so I'm not bending it in my sleep (surgeon and my pcp recommended that).

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for anything my surgeon did wrong, I had a very good surgeon. I'm not trying to blame it on him. I'm just wondering if my hand actually isn't healing since I didn't have any issues with my other hand after surgery (same surgeon did both).
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. It could be that the right hand is taking longer time to heal than the left. So, wait for the post operative swelling and inflammation to subside for relief from your symptoms. Also, you can take OTC medication Ibuprofen. This will help to bring down the swelling. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis. Apply cold compress to the wound for relief.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.