Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Could this be Carpal Tunnel?

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

Could this be Carpal Tunnel?

My hand has a pulling in it when I use it certain ways. I have numbness in my thumb and forefinger. Don't really have much pain. every now and then get a dull ache in the thumb or hand. several months ago, I twisted that same hand on my car door and had an uncomfortable pulling at the time but then seemed to be okay. I have had trigger thumb which hand doctor shot cortisone in it and it worked. So I went to my doctor for this other problem about a week or so ago. He gave me a cortisone shot in the wrist and he said it would either help or not help. Well, it didn't help. I also do alot of texting and computer typing. I do have an appt. for my hand doctor next Wed. but wanted to find out if anybody else has experience this. Sure would like to hear from you. Thank you ahead,  Sue
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms can be due to nerve compression of carpal tunnel. In this the median nerve is compressed at the wrist in a place called the carpal tunnel. Symptoms begin with numbness and tingling of the first three or two fingers from the thumb side. Then the numbness or tingling can spread upwards to the arms. Nerve conduction studies are quite diagnostic. Treatment is usually by splints and steroid injections. Surgery may be required in some cases.

This condition is common in those who use the key board, mouse etc a lot—like in computers or in typing jobs. The carpal tunnel (at your wrist through which the median nerve passes) changes its size depending on the position of the wrist. It’s widest when wrist and hand are straight in line. When the hand is bent up or down, the tunnel becomes slightly smaller. This then presses on the nerve which then causes a pain right up to the arm. Often proper working style, working without bending wrist, using smooth movements to operate the mouse and key pad, and relaxing the joints of finger, wrist and arm in between helps. A wrist support or arm support too helps and you have computer chairs with support for your spine and arm are helpful.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.