Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Do I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

Do I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Hello.  About two weeks ago my left arm started to feel sore like a pulled muscle.  I work 8 hours a day at a desk for work and do a lot of typing and sitting in front of a keyboard.  I also noticed that I had fallen asleep on the couch a couple of times in odd positions which probably made my arm sore.  Well, yesterday I felt my left hand tingling like it is asleep except that I can feel something touching it.  I've tried using IcyHot roll-on and the pain would subside, but come back again in my arm.  I then switched to Stopain which has been much better and started taking Ibuprofen today which also has helped the pain, but it is still sore off and on throughout the day.  

Is it possible that I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
There are many conditions which can lead to your symptoms like a neurological or circulatory problem. Your symptoms could be suggestive of ulnar nerve entrapment or Carpal tunnel syndrome. In this condition the median nerve, which runs from the forearm into the palm of the hand becomes compressed. The underlying causes could be diabetes or arthritis .Avoid  activities that may worsen symptoms. Immobilize the  wrist in a splint to avoid further damage from twisting or bending. The cause of ulnar nerve entrapment is   swelling of the elbow, which may be due to arthritis or other medical conditions, cysts, prior fractures in the arm or bone spurs. A clinical examination and MRI findings may help. See a neurologist. Do keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!