Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Hand numbness of cervical origin

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

Hand numbness of cervical origin

I had successful carpal tunnel surgery recently after a proper diagnosis with nerve conduction tests. But prior to this, a Chiropractor blamed the numbness on a very mild bulging disc at C6-7. However, I had no neck or arm symptoms and my MRI showed no spinal stenosis or compression of the spinal nerve root. Was it appropriate to make this assumption. I spent thousands of dollars on what turned out to be a misdiagnosis.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If your symptoms have resolved with the surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome, then it is likely that the compression was at the carpal tunnel. In the absence of neck symptoms and MRI findings, its unlikely that there is nerve compression at the cervical region causing the numbness.  So,please don't worry.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
My worry is not for myself or my symptoms, but for patients who are not advised that there are proper diagnostic tests to ,if not prove, at least strongly suggest the cause of  the symptoms. Why are chiropractors not held accountable for proper diagnosis?  The public should be protected. I was told that there was not a shadow of a doubt that my hands were numb due to a bulging cervical disc and that I could not expect improvement without chiropractic or spinal surgery. This is simply unethical. The profession should police against this sort of thing if it wishes to have the respect of the public. Do you not agree?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Mam, understand your predicament. There are quite a few alternate streams of medicine, chiropractic, acupuncture, ayurveda, siddha and so forth. And it is difficult to comment on the methodology used for therapy by the above mentioned medical groups, unless we have a first hand understanding or if there are scientific studies to prove their effects. Also, the choice to use a particular stream of medicine is voluntary. I would personally say this should be an informed choice, which is a well researched (self educated) decision.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.