Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Index Finger

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

Index Finger

8419843?1350250462
Hi there
I have had an issue with my index finger for quite a while now.
Basically it's really loose  I can raise the finger up above the knuckle, and it looks the knuckle is split.
My finger also gets stiff sometimes, I wondered if you guys had any ideas on what it could be?

Thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
A complete evaluation is very important for determining the cause. In conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome there is tingling in hand which may be accompanied by pain and stiffness of wrist and fingers. Trigger finger can also lead to pain in index finger, knuckle and other hand parts. This occurs after repeated trauma to the sheath over the knuckle and tendon. There is inability to bend the index finger and straighten it back. You may take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as naproxen for pain relief. If the symptoms are severe or if it persists despite taking naproxen, then it would be appropriate to get it seen by an orthopaedician.Do keep me posted.
Take care!