Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Is this carpal tunnel? Arms/Hands falling asleep at night?

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

For probably about the past year or so, when I fall asleep at night when sleeping on my stomach with an arm above my head bent 90 degrees to sleep on top of, I wake up either in the middle of the night or in the morning not being able to move my arm.  When it first started I would not be able to move my arm whatsoever for a few minutes until blood circulation restarted, but I think in the past 6 months or so I've gotten so used to it that I wake up in the middle of the night as soon as I feel it and reposition my arm after I get the blood flowing again.  Is this a sign of something more serious like diabetes?  Carpal tunnel syndrome?  Or is it the result of working out more and now the nerves are pinched when sleeping more than they used to be?  It feels as though the nerve that usually is sensitive to pressure is under my arm, near the arm pit except on the underarm side, rather than the side of chest side of the armpit.  Usually no problem when awake I don't think.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
There are many conditions which can lead to your symptoms like a neurological or circulatory problem. Your symptoms could be suggestive of ulnar nerve entrapment .The cause of ulnar nerve entrapment is   swelling of the elbow, which may be due to arthritis or other medical conditions, cysts, prior fractures in the arm or bone spurs. Peripheral neuropathy in diabetes mellitus is another possibility. A clinical examination and MRI findings may help. Do keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!