Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Is this possible?

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

Is this possible?

I was just recently diagnosed with Bilateral Carpal Tunnel Syndrome by 3 Drs. I also had a nerve conductive test done which showed severe on the right and moderate-severe  on the left. This is a workers comp case so I had an IME done which resulted in the dr recommending surgery for the right hand and cortisone shots for the left to see if it would work instead of surgery. I had the cortisone shot done and it only provided relief for about 2 weeks. I went to see the surgeon to get a consultation for surgery and he tells me I don't have Carpal Tunnel because one I'm too young and the cortisone shot should've worked longer that 2 weeks. He's saying I have Myofascial pain. He wants to send me to therapy instead of doing the surgery. He also said typing doesn't cause CTS. How can 3 drs and a nerve conductive test say I have bilateral CTS and the surgeon says I don't. This surgeon is partners with the dr. that did my IME. Is it possible for the surgeon to re-diagnose me? How does his visit affect my Worker's Comp case?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Nerve conduction studies are quite diagnostic for carpal tunnel syndrome. The nerve can get compressed due to obesity, Diabetes Mellitus, hypothyroidism, arthritis and trauma. Have yourself evaluated to rule out these conditions. Treatment is usually by splints and steroid injections. Surgery may be required in some cases. Therapy will be based on your symptoms. As you wait for therapy, try wearing wrist support or wrist braces can further support along with strengthening exercises.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.