Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
My husband's Wrist pain

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

My husband's Wrist pain

My husband has recently been suffering  from wrist pain, here is a more detail summary of his symptoms:

"I have pain in both of my wrists.
About 6 months ago, I purchased a new fixer-upper house, and I have been spending most weekends fixing it up.  I am an administrator at work, and I normally don't do much physical activity outside fixing up my home.

Three and a half weeks ago: I found that I was sleeping funny, and it was hurting my wrists.  Id have pain when I first woke up, but it would disappear 30 minutes after waking.  I purchased wrists guards and it seemed to help.  I was still able to make repairs to my house and keep up my physical activity level.

Two weeks ago: the wrists guards helped me stop contorting my wrists at night, but my pain seemed to linger on longer throughout the day.  My wrists starting popping, cracking and making noise.  Because of all this, I started limiting my physical activity and scheduled a dr. appointment.

Little less than a week ago: My wrists have degraded so much that I can barely lift anything.  I can type, but im cautious.  My wrists burn with every waking moment, and there is still a lot of cracking and popping.  However, every time my wrists pop, its followed by a few minutes of relief.

I have only seen a primary care physician.  This problem creeped up on me so quickly.  I am still awaiting a referral to physical therapy and an orthopedic surgeon.
My father seems to think I have over exerted my wrists with my home repairs.  However, it feels more like a joint problem to me.  My wife put a heating pad on my wrists over the weekend, and it seemed to feel better with the rest and the heat.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!"
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your husband? What other symptoms are present and diagnostic tests were done? Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when  there is pressure on the median nerve and presents with numbness, tingling, weakness, or muscle damage in the hand and fingers. This is  common in people who perform repetitive motions of the hand and wrist.  and  occurs most often in people 30 to 60 years old. To confirm the diagnosis, diagnostic tests such as electromyography, nerve conduction velocity and wrist x-rays may be done. Wrist splint as well as hot and cold compresses may indeed be very helpful. Anti-inflammatory medications may also help provide relief.  However, surgery may also be indicated. This link may be helpful: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001469/
Take care and do keep us posted with his consultation. Best regards.