Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Need advice carpal Tunnel?

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

Need advice carpal Tunnel?

For over a month now I have been having pain in my forearm. It started at the elbow as if I have hit the funny bone up to my wrists which have felt like burning, squashed and aching. My fingers feel like they are being crushed and can get tingly and feel spongy little, ring, middle but can also feel index and thumb. If my hand wants to cramp and have felt it along the  outside of hand as well as along my palm side between index and thumb.
I have trouble not getting sleep or am woken up with this. Same with right arm but worse in left. I only use my computer for sorting through deleting  emails that have been sent to me or using the internet to look up stuff. I have been told Repetitive strain injury or carpal tunnel but which one is it and does anyone know what nerves are involved in this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Looks like the nerves in the hand namely the ulnar and the median nerves have been affected with repetitive impact injury. The median nerve can get compressed in the wrist leading to carpel tunnel syndrome, where in the index finger, the thumb and the middle finger can be affected.  The ulnar nerve at the elbow could be causing the radiating pain to the elbow and wrist. Would advise you to consult your primary care physician who may do a neurological assessment and may ask for Nerve conduction Studies to detect lesions in the nerves.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Dr Anitha, Thanks for getting back to me since then something different has happened I wondered if you had time for a little read.
My wrist along the middle i think Median nerve keeps hurting why?
Elbow: Is tender, sometime stiff,a little swollen on inside,can have sharp and then dull ache pain but no problem moving.

Wrist: Can be weak with same pain as elbow. Palm side of hand slightly swollen. Over a month and half ago had real burning,felt like wrist being squashed and sharp dull aching pain from forearm to wrist. May have twisted it on changing bag over left to right and by accident bent it with a sharp click backwards. Thinking back didn't know it was a sprain. If at all possible? Under active thyroid. Have got Tramadol but feel a little dizzy taking it.

Blood and ultrasound fine. No fall and No sports. When I lift shopping (food bags) that aren't too heavy I now get a sharp pull in the wrist. Can it just be weakness? What could I have done as it's not been right since. Just as I think it's O.k it kick back in, did I sprain it why hasn't it got better?

Dr did say maybe underlying inflammation as been over a month and a half now.

Am seeing rheumatologist in Sept but am worried they won't find anything?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The on going pain could be due to the injury, which can cause a fracture or a sprain. If a fracture has been ruled out, then it could be sprain. For this along with anti inflammatories, give rest to the area for healing to occur. If it persists in spite of this, then other causes for the inflammation like connective tissue disorders may have to be ruled out. Wish you well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.