Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Nodule on wrist tendon

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

Nodule on wrist tendon

I've had pains in both wrists for about a year, relating to one of my hobbies. My physio wrote a letter to my doctor advising a referral to a hand surgeon. I'd be grateful if any hand surgeon could look at this transcript from the letter and offer some advice on what I can do to help my wrists before I get seen by the hand surgeon (will take months).
"On examination, there was some myofascial tension in the flexor muscles of the right wrist, but the range of movement was good and a carpal tunnel test negative. The left wrist also had tight flexor muscles but there was a small, mobile, tender nodule between the Palmaris and Flexor Carpi Radialis tendons at the wrist. This appeared to be associated with the finger flexor tendons and moved into the wrist on finger flexion"
Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong part of the forum.
Dave
Tags: nodule, tendons, hand surgeon, Wrist pain
Hi Dave .. I'm not sure I have too much knowledge to really help.. Just wanted to stop by and say hello.

C~
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The cause for the pain could be flexor tendinitis, inflammation of the tendons on the palmar aspect of the hand. This can happen with infections and inflammations. This could have caused the nodule. It can also be due to flexor tenosynovitis, which is inflammation of the tendon sheath. If it is restricting movement or if the pain is worsening then surgical therapy may be planned.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for the replies. I'm nearly 100% sure that the problems with the left wrist were caused by overdoing and incorrect practice of one of my hobbies - church bellringing. It involves pulling and catching a rope many times a minute, and this is repeated for up to 3 hours. I was gripping the rope too tightly with my left hand (gripping like a vice) and this is when the problems started. Now doing bellringing causes discomfort in the wrist. I think the nodule is moving in and out of the wrist as I catch and release the rope (grip and release the grip). This happens up to 30 times a minute. Hope that adds insight into the problem. I've got a consultation with a hand surgeon in just over a week, but if there is any insight you can add before then, I'd be very grateful. Thanks, Dave
My daughter had a ganglion cyst on the top portion of her wrist, coupled with tendonitis from playing too much badminton of all things!