Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Numbness in Fingers????

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

Numbness in Fingers????

I am 28/f. I work with equipment in a factory up to 7.5 hrs/day. I am constantly reaching out with my left hand for a piece of wire, not heavy or anything then i drop it with my right hand. And repeat upwards of 5-6 thousand pieces per day.  I don't consider this a particularly taxing job (supposed to be 4 hrs/day but my teammate is a bit lax on her turns).  About a month ago while making an ajustment I had a 60+ piece of steel go awry and had to lunge and catch it vs. have it hit me in the head. In doing so my left thumb got bent back but only hurt for a minute, go on with my day.  My thumb joint was a little lame, didn't think much of it. Now a MONTH later its still lame. Also my left index finger within the last week or so has felt like its been "novocained" starting at the tip on the side toward my middle finger. It lets up a bit if I do absolutely nothing all day. Its more annoying than anything but I'm well aware that something small can end up way worse.  Bossman decided that I shall be given much more respite from running that particular equipment to try to get in control of it (afraid I will sue, not my intention)  Any Ideas?  I figured I'd wait it out before seeing a doctor as I have major anxiety around hospitals. I don't wanto to make a mountain out of a molehill.....Thanks
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Looks like the nerves in the hand namely the ulnar and the median nerves have been affected with repetitive impact injury. The median nerve can get compressed in the wrist leading to carpel tunnel syndrome, where in the index finger, the thumb and the middle finger can be affected.  The ulnar nerve at the elbow could be causing the radiating pain to the elbow and wrist. Would advise you to consult your primary care physician who may do a neurological assessment and may ask for Nerve conduction Studies to detect lesions in the nerves.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for responding.  I still have all the same symptoms at this time.