Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Other symptoms after CT surgery

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

Other symptoms after CT surgery

I had carpal tunnel release surgery on my right hand in June 2011. The pain and numbness improved immediately and within a short time, all numbness, tingling and associated pain was gone. However, my scar is still sensitive. It's not painful but it is very annoying. Is it normal to still have sensitivity in the scar after nearly eight months.

I also have developed DuPuytrens Contracture in that hand. Could this have been brought on by the surgery? It is still mild and does not pull my fingers down. In addition, I notice mild shooting pain in that hand when I walk and swing the hand. Again, could that be from the surgery?
Tags: carpal tunnel scar
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Sometimes the sensitivity in the scar tissue may persist. The shooting pains in the arms could be due to the median or ulnar nerves. The median nerve is compressed at the wrist in a place called the carpel tunnel. This can cause shooting pain in the arm. The ulnar nerve at the elbow could be causing the radiating pain to the elbow and wrist. Would advise you to consult your primary care physician who may do a neurological assessment and may ask for Nerve conduction Studies to detect lesions in the nerves.

Dupuytren's contracture may not be related to the surgery. But smoking is associated with an increased risk of Dupuytren's contracture, perhaps because of microscopic changes within blood vessels caused by smoking. Alcohol intake also is associated with Dupuytren's. People with diabetes are reported to have an increased risk of Dupuytren's contracture. Controlling these may help prevent progression of the disease.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you. I don't smoke, drink very moderately and haven't been diagnosed with diabetes, so I think I can rule out those as causes of the Dupuytren's contracture. Sounds like I need patience for the scar sensitivity to go away. I'll be going back to my hand surgeon in the spring. I appreciate your response.