Sudden acute wrist pain
After working very hard one day on my typing course, I had a sudden sharp pain in my right wrist that felt like someone drove a nail into it. I iced it, wrapped it, and took anti-inflamitory meds. After almost a week, the wrist was still painful to use and then my elbow, which had been hyperextended 10 years ago, suddenly reverted to it's same condition as it was after the  accident 10 years ago. Both problems are still flared now, even a month after the wrist pain happened. I also stopped playing my bass guitar since the wrist episode. Trying today to play it  for a minute left me in arm and wrist pain.  I am a 54 year old male with osteo arthritis and low bone density (-3.1). My doctor did not x-ray anything and is sending me to a specialist for carpal tunnel. Could this be caused by something else and what can I do to heal this?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Looks like the nerves in the hand namely the ulnar and the median nerves have been affected with repetitive impact injury. The median nerve can get compressed in the wrist leading to carpel tunnel syndrome, where in the index finger, the thumb and the middle finger can be affected.  The ulnar nerve at the elbow could be causing the radiating pain to the elbow and wrist, due to hyperextension of the elbow. Nerve conduction Studies can help to detect lesions in the nerves. The compression needs to be relieved for your symptoms to resolve. Treatment is usually by splints and steroid injections. Surgery may be required in some cases. Your consultation with the specialist will help to diagnose the cause.

In the meantime, take OTC painkillers; adopt proper working style, working without bending wrist, using smooth movements to operate the mouse and key pad, and relaxing the joints of finger, wrist and arm in between helps. A wrist support or arm support too helps and you have computer chairs with support for your spine and arm.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.