Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Tendon Rupture

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

Tendon Rupture

Hi, I had surgery last week to to release scar tissue around the Extensor Pollicis Longus tendon in my left hand. This was following a bad wrist fracture a year ago. After the operation, I had barely come round from the anaesthetic and vaguely remember the surgeon saying something about scar tissue but that I should push the thumb back gently as exercise, which I did. It was so great to have the full mobility of my thumb back. Unfortunately the next day my thumb joint made a clunk sound and the thumb went back to the pre op state. I spoke to a physio at the hospital where I had the op to check what may have happened and also to check what the operation notes said about the state of the tendon (I was concerned that I had moved my thumb too much). He told me that the tendon was intact and had been freed from scar tissue and that I should move it about as much as possible. That night I was stretching my thumb back towards the little finger with my other hand and heard a loud crack. I saw the surgeon today to review post op progress, he confirmed that the tendon had snapped and that I should have been doing specific physio exercises not to stress the tendon because there was scar tissue on the tendon itself. Too little information, too late I thought! I was further dissapointed when he then said I should live with the dissability instead of having a tendon transfer from the index finger. He's made an appointment for me to see him in two months and suggested I make a list of reasons what I can't do with the thumb before he considers whether or not I should be put forward for a tendon transfer op. My worry is that I wait two months before a review, then if I get put forward for the op it could be another few months wait on the NHS before I get the transfer. So my question.. eventually, is there an ideal time-frame in which to have a tendon graft after rupture of the Extensor Pollicis Longus. Would the operation be more successful if I go private sooner than waiting four months or longer for the NHS?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

As it is a tendon transfer surgery, the prognosis may not be related to the time frame. You can have it done at a convenient time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.