Tendon Rupture
Hi, I had surgery last week to to release scar tissue around the Extensor Pollicis Longus tendon in my left hand. This was following a bad wrist fracture a year ago. After the operation, I had barely come round from the anaesthetic and vaguely remember the surgeon saying something about scar tissue but that I should push the thumb back gently as exercise, which I did. It was so great to have the full mobility of my thumb back. Unfortunately the next day my thumb joint made a clunk sound and the thumb went back to the pre op state. I spoke to a physio at the hospital where I had the op to check what may have happened and also to check what the operation notes said about the state of the tendon (I was concerned that I had moved my thumb too much). He told me that the tendon was intact and had been freed from scar tissue and that I should move it about as much as possible. That night I was stretching my thumb back towards the little finger with my other hand and heard a loud crack. I saw the surgeon today to review post op progress, he confirmed that the tendon had snapped and that I should have been doing specific physio exercises not to stress the tendon because there was scar tissue on the tendon itself. Too little information, too late I thought! I was further dissapointed when he then said I should live with the dissability instead of having a tendon transfer from the index finger. He's made an appointment for me to see him in two months and suggested I make a list of reasons what I can't do with the thumb before he considers whether or not I should be put forward for a tendon transfer op. My worry is that I wait two months before a review, then if I get put forward for the op it could be another few months wait on the NHS before I get the transfer. So my question.. eventually, is there an ideal time-frame in which to have a tendon graft after rupture of the Extensor Pollicis Longus. Would the operation be more successful if I go private sooner than waiting four months or longer for the NHS?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

As it is a tendon transfer surgery, the prognosis may not be related to the time frame. You can have it done at a convenient time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.