Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
What help's if Carpal Tunnel, & what determines if it really i...

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

What help's if Carpal Tunnel, & what determines if it really is?

I've been diagnoised w/Diabetes about 3 months ago. I felt Ok, just didn't know until doctor told me. I've taken many different medicines for it.

I am WONDERING since "after" getting diabetes, if this has anything to do with me getting the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
First, I had hurting "elbow" pain in my right elbow, after taking medicines for D. My doctor said just a coincedence.
Then I have been having for the first time ever, extreme Pain, Numbess, tingling, A feeling in my second to pinky finger and middle finger feelings of being sliced by a sharp object,it really hurts. I scream out, and I am not a screamish person.
I also after a little typing can't touch the kepboard without extreme pain from the numbness I suppose it is that, in my left fingers.
I am just wanting to find out what is is and then HOW to help it. I like to type.

Iasked my doctor, and he said he thinks it is CT. but he has the idea it could be.
He wants me to take 400 mg of ALEVE and wear a brace for my hand, I have taken ALEVE no help at all, and I am goin to get a brace.
Does anyone think it's worth the money to get a brace, do they really help if it is CTunnel? Thank's for your advice.
I need it.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

More than the medications diabetes can cause Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. This condition is common in those who use the keyboard, mouse etc a lot—like in computers or in typing jobs. The carpal tunnel (at your wrist through which the median nerve passes) changes its size depending on the position of the wrist. It’s widest when wrist and hand are straight in line. When the hand is bent up or down, the tunnel becomes slightly smaller. This then presses on the nerve which then causes a pain right up to the arm. Often proper working style, working without bending wrist, using smooth movements to operate the mouse and keypad, and relaxing the joints of finger, wrist and arm in between helps. A wrist support or arm support too helps and you have computer chairs with support for your spine and arm. Taking breaks in between and strengthening exercises will help further.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you! I do want if I could to bring up a few extra's and ask you please to tell me if this occurs with this CT.

My wrist never hurts. My 3 middle finger's give me the most pain. I wake up at night and have to scream from the sudden feel of sever pain in my finger, it will ache, then radiat so violently and it hurts so bad, and I am wondering if this is because of how I'm sleeping, but also, it is I'll say, "sore" even before bed, not every night, but most.
My hand (left) becomes so numb as I type at time, it is impossible to continue it hurt's so much, I rest my left hand, proceed, off and on.
I NEED TO KNOW IF I GET A BRACE FOR MY HAND CAN I STILL TYPE ? This is my world right now, I'm advocating for my terminal child, and I can't stop, I must keep working on my PC.
It doesn't bother me in my right hand in anyway of pain as the left, COULD YOU TELL ME IF THERE IS ANY CHANCE, HAVING CHF COULD CONTRIBUTE TO THIS LEFT HAND ISSUE? I do have CHF, enlarged heart w/fluid, not able to test, due to I've lost my insurance and found out one day back in Jan about CHF and seen no one sense, just seeing Doctor for diabeties and Hypertension.
I  just wanted to give you all the details and still wondering if I should feel anything in my writst, arm, or just hand, being OK if that is somewhat normal.
Aleve helps non at all, Is there anything else, should I ask my primary doctor for anything stronger to help me since I type so much?

thank you..this is so wonderful to get help to my question here.
Hope all is well with you...ty
PS: I've not had this before I started taking diabeties medication, could it be that completely, and how will I know for sure?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

You can type with the hand brace. it will support your hand. And the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome worsen at night, due to the positioning. CHF may contribute to carpal tunnel syndrome, because of fluid accumulation. So, take care and consult your doctor for stronger anti inflammatory medications.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for the helpful information.

I also wonder if this could be "nerve" issues, or is this considered the same as CT? It's my left hand little finger and finger next to it...They hurt so bad when I type...put pressure of them...
I don't have the "waking" up pain hardly as much, just the "pinky" finger the worst...is it so hard to type...I mess up all the time now...it feels like I have NO PINKY>>>what am I to thinkg?