Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
does carpal tunnel syndrome return after surgery or is it something el...

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

does carpal tunnel syndrome return after surgery or is it something else???

Hello, I suffered a shoulder injury earlier this year and had numbness in my hand.As time went on the numbness was contained to the ring and pinky finger and down my lower part of the forearm.I previously had carpal tunnel syndrome(10 years ago) and had the surgery for it,carpal tunnel release was performed arthriscoptically.When I had those symptoms it was the thumb,pointer finger and the middle finger that went numb, not so much the other two fingers. My doctor sent me for EMG and it showed moderate carpal tunnel in that hand and cervical radiculopathy in neck,c5,c8.My doctor  said he hasn't seen a case of returning carpal tunnel syndrome and sent me for neck MRI which showed bulging disc in left foramen and osteophites encroaching nerve.He said the neck looked alright and probably wasn't the cause for numbness.My question is does carpal tunnel syndrome come back after surgery, I am really not conviced that it is the problem,especially when the other night I woke up and my other hand was numb,not to mention what feels like "bubbles" coming from my spine in my neck when I lay down at night. Any help would be appreciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Recurrence of carpal tunnel syndrome following surgery is not rare and studies show frequency of reoperation varies from 0.3 to 12%.  It is possible that there is persistent carpal tunnel syndrome or reappearance of the condition three months or more following surgery. (ref: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18760950) Further evaluation may need to be done especially if the symptoms persist. If the symptoms persist, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper management. Further diagnostic tests may need to be done. Take care and do keep us posted.