Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
numb hands

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

numb hands

Is there anything I can do to make thepain and numbness go away everything I lay down it starts
Start by buying splints to wear on your hands at night. You can buy them in the drug store. Be sure the kind you get are meant for carpal tunnel. It will help you some but you need to go see a doctor. The surgery for CT isn't bad at all and the pain goes away almost right away.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If the pain and numbness is due to Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, life style measures may help.

The carpal tunnel (at your wrist through which the median nerve passes) changes its size depending on the position of the wrist. It’s widest when wrist and hand are straight in line. When the hand is bent up or down, the tunnel becomes slightly smaller. This then presses on the nerve which then causes a pain in the hand right up to the arm.

Good working style like working without bending the wrist, smooth movements and taking breaks in between for stretching the hands will help prevent carpel tunnel syndrome. Further wearing wrist support or wrist braces can further support along with strengthening exercises.
If the pain is severe, you can take OTC pain medication Ibuprofen. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I have splints nd wear them at night but that doesn't work. It's getting to the point were I can't grip anything. Nd seeing a Dr didn't help any.
I understand this is hard for you.  What do you do for a living?  I spent 30 years behind a desk, typing and using calculators all day.  My wrists slowly got worse and worse until after 5 minutes of writing, or typing, my hands would be numb.  I was starting to drop things all the time, and at night they either ached all night or went numb and I had to be careful rolling over.  The doctor said I should have surgery but I kept putting off.  I decided to cut back on work for a while and saw some difference so I did a partial retirement.  I am lucky that I was able to take the time off, because now my wrists and hands are great.  It is like there was never a problem.  I know it is hard for young people to take this time to take care of themselves, but I found out it is not always  irreversible damage.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Treatment for  is Carpal tunnel syndrome is  usually by splints and steroid injections. Surgery may be required in some cases if they do not respond to conservative therapy. You could discuss the surgical options with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.