Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
pregnancy and carpal tunnel

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

pregnancy and carpal tunnel

I recently saw my doctor about my carpal tunnel / tendinitis because im scared when i have my baby im going to be in more pain & suffering that a cannot handle becuz its already pretty bad. My c/t is across my whole hand front and back. My doc adviced me that a cortisone shot was in general to risky for the palm side of my hand not just becuz i was preg. Then proceded to tell me i COULD get carpal tunnel release surgury during my second trimester.. my question is has anyone got cortozone shots on palm side and top of hand?  Nd what is ur expirence with this surgery?? I dont know wht to do..  i dont wana get surgery on my wrist but  cant just suck up the pain when i use my wrist it goes numb nd stiff like i cant use it.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
The fluid retention and swelling during pregnancy increase the pressure in the compartment and compresses the median nerve that runs through it. Wearing a wrist splint or hand brace may help. Cortisone injections into the wrist or non-invasive surgery are possible and safe during pregnancy, if recommended by a specialist. In untreated cases nerve and muscle damage can occur which may be permanent. In severe cases, a simple surgery may be necessary to relieve the pressure on your median nerve. The safety of this surgery during pregnancy needs to be discussed with a surgeon. Do clarify all your doubts. Write to me again.
Best luck and regards!