thumb cramp/spasm

I have been having spasms/cramps in my thumbs. It started in June when I had a massive cramp in my thumb in left hand could not move it and it was cramped up in a bent position while giving my dog a bath..It was extremely painful and took a few hours before i could open..when I did finally open it again it was brusied in the palm side bend of hand..just recently i had this happen in right thumb last week and again today..I was not doing anything..I also had a spasm in my right middle finger but just pain ..no pain in wrist. Any thoughts?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The cause for the pain could be flexor tendinitis, inflammation of the tendons on the palmar aspect of the hand. This can happen with infections and inflammations. It can also be due to flexor tenosynovitis, which is inflammation of the tendon sheath. So please consult your primary care physician for a proper evaluation. He may ask for blood tests and x rays to detect the cause for the pain. In the meantime for pain relief you can use OTC  tylenol (acetaminophen).

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.