tingling fingers and forearm
im 46 yr old female, ive been getting tingling feeling in my left hand and sometime half way up my forearm and wrist. is this a sign of carpal tunnel syndrome?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to carpal tunnel syndrome. In this the median nerve is compressed at the wrist in a place called the carpal tunnel. Symptoms begin with numbness and tingling of the first three or two fingers from the thumb side. Then the numbness or tingling can spread upwards to the arms. Nerve conduction studies are quite diagnostic. Treatment is usually by splints and steroid injections. Surgery may be required in some cases. This condition is common in those who use the keyboard, mouse etc a lot—like in computers or in typing jobs. The carpal tunnel (at your wrist through which the median nerve passes) changes its size depending on the position of the wrist. It’s widest when wrist and hand are straight in line. When the hand is bent up or down, the tunnel becomes slightly smaller. This then presses on the nerve which then causes a pain right up to the arm. Often proper working style, working without bending wrist, using smooth movements to operate the mouse and keypad, and relaxing the joints of finger, wrist and arm in between helps. A wrist support or arm support too helps and you have computer chairs with support for your spine and arm. Please consult your primary care physician for further evaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.