Cats Community
16 year old cat - suddenly blind and nearly deaf

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

First of all, THANKS SO MUCH TO MEDHELP FOR MAKING THE PETS DEPT!!! SUCH A GREAT IDEA!!!

Okay, I have a cat that will be 16 in May. A few weeks ago, she went blind litterally overnight. She also seems like her hearing has gotten pretty bad. Do cats have strokes? I've researched online and I haven't seen anything about that. I read the leading cause of sudden blindess is hypertension. But why would she have gone deaf, too? I haven't taken her to the vet since I'm short on cash...plus, I'm not going to have them run all sorts of tests on her anyway. She's an old lady now. She doesn't seem to be suffering and she's adapting to her loss of vision. I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and if they know what caused it.

I should also add that her pupils are permanently dilated, too.
So sorry to hear about your cat.  Have you taken her to a Vet?  

Sudden blindness in animals is sometimes caused by hypertension.  You really should get the cat to a Vet.  Herpes of the eyes is another common problem in animals.  The only way to find out what is going on is to see a Vet.

Good luck to you and your cat.

Michael
I would definately recommend a trip to the vet. Although she might be getting along great dealing with her blindness there are other complications that can arise from hypertension. If that is what has caused the blindness. There are medications avaible to help manage it and hopefully prevent any further troubles. Unfortunately like us once vision is lost there is not much chance of regaining it. But she can still live an almost normal life without being able to see. Another thought .... you mentioned she is 16, although this is considered her senior years she could still have many more left ahead. I used to work at a vet clinic and we frequently had cats coming in that were in their 20's! With all the advances in vet. medicine pets are living longer and longer these days. I hope you are able to figure out what is going on. Good luck and let us know how she is doing!
FYI hypertension can cause strokes
Thanks, you guys! I think I'm going to go ahead and take her to the vet then. I was told there wasn't any meds to help with hypertension. I read the only way to help control it was by switching to a low sodium diet. I love my little girl. I want her to live into her 20s like me! I got her when I was 10, so you see we kinda grew up together. So this has been really hard on me! :(
definitly get her to the vet... it could also be diabetes... and they do have meds to help with that... please let us know how she is doing.
Yes cats can have strokes..!
Best Bet Taking Her To The Vet.

Also, try to keep her in one single room. Dont move anything around..Place her food and water in the same place all the time, and she will eventually know exactly where they are. And same goes for her litter box, make sure the location doesnt change so she can always find it.

Im not saying 'keep her locked up'...but i have found that by keeping a blind cat in one specific room-for most of the time, other than if u want to take her out of the room to play or what not-is your best bet!
Good Luck!
I have a sixteen year old cat and she is blind (she gradually became blind). (But she can see shadows and sometimes her pupils adapt to bright light). When we took her to the vet he said that she is perfectly healthy and still had about 3 years. He said that she is going senile (because she randomly starts acting like a kitten and running around and playing) and in a couple of years she will probably go deaf. Smokey (my cat) has lived in this house for 16 years and there haven't been many large changes. She smells everywhere and uses her memory to get around. Don't lift your cat up too much. There is more info on the internet, I suggest you thoroughly research this subject and how to treat 'disabled' cats. BTW: Don't over-protect your cat, cats still want their inner feline independence.
I hope I could help a bit. You'll probably find a solution. And deaf and blind cats should be able to live for a long time.
Hope your cats is happy, considering the condition. (My cat is blind and old and is still very happy, so)
The same thing happened to my 14 year old cat. He has been diagnosed with Hyperthyriodisim and hypertensionn (secondary) - which is what caused the blindness. The hypertension, caused bleeding behnd the eyes and destroyed the nerve endings. It appeared to happen all of a sudden - but there were signs to the hyperthriodisim - overeating and hyperactivty and vomiting.  put it down to cats coming in and eating his food - but sadly, that was a red herring!

The vet has put my cat on 2 tablets - one for the hyperthyriod and the other for the hypertension - both a essential for oreventing heart and kidney failure.

It is unlikely that he will ever gain his sight back - which I am finding so hard to deal with. He seems so unhappy - and it is realy heart-breaking. Although, he is managing ok - he is now relying on his oher senses more and more. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has similar expereinces and knowing how best to cope with this. I want the best for my cat.
My cat is 21years old and went deaf when he was 18.  Now in the past month he has gone blind. I try to only pick him up to live on him, but we have a younger cat and two large dogs in the house that we watch out for. A vet suggested getting one of those 4x4 yard fences to put him in so he kundalini has his own space. It would be big enough for a bed, food, water and litter box. We haven't tried it yet, but may in near future, for his own safety. He would still be let out for his cuddle/grooming time though. Any thoughts?
Boy I made a mess of that post but I think you get the idea.
hi AL55 and welcome to our forum, your pool kitty, I feel for him and his special needs bless you for looking out for him. he will do okay with alot of assistance from you.
I too am looking at putting a cat acessible door in my window and a 'pet cage' for my Sami to enjoy the outdoors more, he loves it out side and sitting with the birds he would love!!
they have excellent ones at this site, that I will order from, well recommended, but I could try and find info on other sites if you wish.
www.habitathaven.com

good luck to you both, please continue to post with updates or questions.

♥Opus
My cat Cleo is 20 years old and has recently been losing weight and is drinking a lot of water.  She also seems to have dementia in that you feed her and two minutes later she is at her bowl crying to be fed.   She appears to be deaf and is very slow in getting about.  She always slept on my son's bed but now she sleeps on the floor next to him, I presume because she struggles to jump on the bed.   I dont want to take her to the vets as she seems content in herself and she can be a little wild with strangers and would not take to any vet prodding her about.  I want to leave things to how nature intends and hope she passes in her sleep BUT I dont want my son to be traumatised if he finds her dead (he is 12) what would you suggest?
well Cleo has certainly lived a long and loving life...20 is a very senior age for a cat and not many live to see that number.

the symptoms you are describing is very likely diabetes....the losing weight and drinking lots also the extreme hunger....she is most likely in alot of discomfort/pain.
I think its really time you had a discussion with your son abt the responsibilities of looking after a pets best interests in times such as this...Cleo will die and possibly a very painful death if she is not given medical care, I urge you to call a Vet clinic, if she is too dramatized to be taken than ask if a Vet will come to your home(many will). If you and the Vet  feel she is too old to treat this disease than I urge you to please put her to sleep, she is suffering and a friend that you've loved for 20 years needs you now more than ever.
bless you all...have that talk with you son, he needs to understand that part of loving a pet is doing what is best for them in their time of need♥
Traumatized NOT dramatized...spell check typo, sorry.