19 y/o diabetic cat refuses to eat
My 19 y/o diabetic cat is not eating well enough for me to give him insulin. He was diagnosed five years ago, was on insulin for 1 year. Then his diabetes was managed by diet alone for the past four years. In that time, he has also recovered from bone cancer resulting in a front leg amputation. Threes month ago, he was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism which is managed with pills. A month ago, his blood sugar got high enough that we started him back on insulin, Lantus 1 unit/ day and increased to two units a day. Two days after the increase, his blood sugar dropped to 30. Spent the weekend in the hospital. They tried giving him 1 unit after his blood sugar went back up to 300 and it dropped back down to 30. They also gave him an enema as they said he was constipated. We brought him home the next day hoping he would eat better at home. Took him back to the vet the next day as he was still refusing to eat. They did another curve and it was in the 300s again. They gave him 1/2 unit and it dropped to 136. But since bringing him home, he has not been eating much and he has had diarrhea for four days. He has also been losing a pound a week for the past two weeks. One vet felt this might be a hump he can recover from. I''m worried I am letting him starve to death. He still walks around and gets petted but he just won't eat enough to get his insulin. Sorry for the long post but any insight would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to put him to sleep if he can recover from this but I don't want to let him starve to death either. Really unsure what to do.
I am very sorry to read abt your kitty and the problems he is having, wow 19yrs old..he's lived a long wonderful and loved life but not without its hardships too, you've done an excellent job caring for your boy...I can understand how hard it is to make that final decision and when is the right time to do so..

I don't really think I can give you any decent answer to your questions...other than to tempt him with anything he may like to eat, have you tried a piece of chicken? some canned tuna? something just to get him trying to eat...

I will send you another site, where there are many others with diabetic kitties and you would get alot more help from the people on that site. please feel free to come back anytime, we'd like to hear an update if you can.....sending you both my very best♥

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/
Oddly he never liked human food though we've tried tuna. But still nothing. Thank you so much for the kind replies; I will check out the site you provided.