Cats Community
2 Year old cat with loose stool accompanied with blood

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

I rescued my cat from a humane society last September. He lived with my boyfriend and I from September until mid February, when we moved into an apartment for a rearranged period of time in which he could not be with us, as the apartment did not allow cats.

From February until this past weekend, he lived with a family member who owns several of her own cats.
About two months ago, she told me he had bloody stool, but wasn't acting as if there was anything truly wrong. She asked her vet what to do and he put him on baby food, I believe to see if it could regulate his system or kick an infection. After this discussion, it was never brought up again.
This weekend we moved into our new apartment and brought him home, and noticed no differences except that he had gotten rather large. He's been the same cat I knew beforehand, but a little calmer.

However, just tonight I was moving things in and out of the house, and shut him in the bedroom for twenty minutes to prevent him from getting outside, and on the floor was soft light brown stool with bright red blood. I want to be clear, the stool did not have blood in it, and I don't know if it would be classified as diarrhea with it still keeping shape. The blood was entirely separate, but appeared to have come out at the same time.
All of the cats he has come in contact with go to vet visits regularly and are healthy. He's had his shots. There's been no blood or loose stool in the liter box, this is the first incidence since Friday.

There are only two things I can think of that might be relevant. When I was first thinking about adopting him, his backside seemed a little red and puffy, so I asked the employee about it. She took a look and told me that she would have him checked out by the vet before I went any further in the process. I called back the next day, and they said he was ready for me, no mention.

The second thing is that he had several food brand changes. He started out at the shelter eating anything that was donated, as this humane society feeds them whatever they can get. I fed him holistic cat food until December, when we switched to Meow mix for financial reasons, which he ate until March. From March until this weekend, he ate Iams, and now is switching back to Meow mix. He has never, in his life, thrown up or shown any signs of not being able to stomach these foods.

Any ideas as to what it could be or any natural remedies for it?
hi and welcome, this sounds very much like IBD or inflamatory bowel disease. and its very common with dry food fed cats esp. dry foods that have grains...and MOST DO.
grain laden dry foods are also the reason cats gain so much weight..which can lead to diabetes..
Meow Mix is NOT a good diet.....the cheaper the food the more grains there are, this is how commerical companies make their profits...as adding grains like rice/potatoes/corn are much cheaper than meat..and meat is what cats need!!!!

Iam is also guilty of this. as I said most dry foods are....

I would highly recommend feeding a GRAIN FREE canned food, I know these can be expensive, but alot cheaper than Vet bills!!!!
these are avail at good pet stores not walmarts or grocery stores...
it will say right on the can GRAIN FREE.
at the very least try a grain free dry food, however a very trusted Vet Dr. Pierson has stated event he cheapest wet food is better than the most expensive dry food.....please read her article, with even more links highlighted in blue. good luck, keep us posted

http://www.catinfo.org/